- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D. (Cum Laude)
- Randolph Macon College,
- Virginia Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia
Todd J. Preti is a Founding Shareholder in the Law Firm of Midgett Preti Olansen. Mr. Preti is a graduate of Randolph-Macon College in Ashland, Virginia, and earned his Juris Doctor degree from the T.C. Williams School of Law at the University of Richmond. While at the T.C. Williams School of Law, Mr. Preti was a merit scholar and was named to the University of Richmond Law Review and the Moot Court Board.
Mr. Preti practices in the areas of estate planning, estate and trust administration, fiduciary litigation, elder law, family business planning/succession planning, commercial real estate and business law. His estate planning and administration practice includes the preparation of wills, trusts, powers of attorney and advance medical directives. He prepares sophisticated estate and gift tax strategies for clients, as well as related estate, gift and fiduciary income tax returns. He is experienced in guardianship/conservatorship proceedings. Mr. Preti has a strong background in business law, which includes the formation of business entities, business succession planning, buy-sell agreements, mergers and acquisitions, as well as commercial real estate transactions.
Mr. Preti lectures on estate planning and probate administration matters as well as business law matters. He has served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Regent University School of Law, where he taught Mergers and Acquisitions. His civic activities have included membership in the United Way of South Hampton Roads and he served as Area Commissioner for the Virginia Rush Soccer Club (Great Neck). Mr. Preti has also coached numerous youth sports teams. He is a member of the Hampton Roads Estate Planning Council (President 2017-2018), Entrepreneurs’ Organization (Board Member), National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors (Board Member-President 2016-2017) and the Hampton Roads Chapter of the Financial Planning Association (Past President, 2007). He has also been a member of the Hampton Roads Tax Forum and the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. In May 2011, he was elected by the Board of Directors of the National Association of Estate Planners & Councils as an Accredited Estate Planner®.
Honors & Awards
- AV® Preeminent ™ Peer Review Rating by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Trusts & Estates, 2017
- Virginia Business Magazine’s Legal Elite (Business Law), 2008 and 2017
- “Top Lawyers”, 2017-2018, Coastal Virginia Magazine
- Accredited Estate Planner®, National Association of Estate Planners & Councils, 2011
- Hampton Roads Estate Planning Council, President 2017-2018
- National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors, Past President 2016-2017
- Entrepreneurs’ Organization, Board Member
- Financial Planning Association, Past President 2007
- Hampton Roads Tax Forum, Past Member
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Past Member
- Norfolk and Portsmouth Bar Association
- Virginia Beach Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar Association